Senior Staff Accountant – Nautilus By Arlo
Arlo Hotels, an independent lifestyle hotel, is now actively seeking a dynamic Senior Staff Accountant. Are you someone who is passionate about people, driven by purpose, and clever in your approach? If so, keep on reading!! Here at Arlo we strive to create a sense of awe that leaves those we touch wanting more” ……
Assists the Director of Finance in providing support, training, development, and supervision to the team members within the Finance Department. Responsible for accounting and financial requirements of the hotel and will provide financial support, analysis to the Director of Finance and the hotel team to take the business forward. The individual will ensure that procedures in other areas of the hotel comply with Arlo Hotels Financial Policies & Procedures. The individual will work closely and liaise with all other departments, particularly revenue generating and cash handling areas.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND AUTHORITIES:
- Assists in provide leadership and supports to the team in achieving departmental goals and Objectives
- Work with all employees in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ensure the work environment is safe, clean and organized.
- Build strong relations with other hotel departments and team members
- Ensures timely dispatch of all reports as indicated on the Reports Schedule.
- Supervises the archiving of accounting records. Co-ordinates the disposition of records listing.
- Ensures that each team member maintains their inventory of records and keeps them up to date.
- Ensures that records are moved to the warehouse when appropriate.
- Maintains accurate accounting records and assists in producing financial reports for the hotel.
- Ensures that the balance sheet is an accurate reflection of the hotel’s assets and liabilities.
- Assist in developing best practices for financial accounting and control procedures.
- Under the direction of the Director of Finance assists in preparing the Annual Plan, various Financial Reports and Analysis as requested by home office or ownership, monthly and quarterly forecasts.
- Manages cash flow and maintains the hotel bank accounts as directed by the Director of Finance.
- Ensures proper use and maintenance of financial IT systems, including adequate security and back-up.
- Analyzing daily revenues and auditing revenue adjustments.
- Ensures timely dispatch of all reports.
- Ensure effective communication between the hotel and the client in regards to billing and collection.
- Assist in payroll control e.g. monitoring payroll against forecasted / actualized occupancy.
- Ensure that operating costs are properly managed by department heads and in line with forecast and projected revenue to protect GOP.
- Evaluate monthly production reports and monitors results in relation to goals.
- Assists to complete Profit and Loss reviews with all Department Heads
- Maintain a framework of internal controls, which will adequately protect the assets, liabilities, revenue & costs and record in a monthly checklist.
- Ensure a regular cycle of forecasting takes place and relevant reports circulated.
- Utilize key performance indicators and bench marking to assist in the performance of the hotel and how it can be improved.
- Ensure collection of payments due to the hotel.
- Assists the Director of Finance in organization and preparation of the Annual Operating and Capital Budget
- Petty Cash vouchers
- Accounts Payable reports
- Checks numerical sequence control register
- Prepares the month end Journal Entries
- Coordinates internal and external audits. Follows up any issues that are raised, ensures that proper explanations are given when required.
Internal Audit Requirements
- Journal Entries have all supporting documentation attached to explain the figures thereon or are referenced to where the supporting documentation can be found.
- Reviews latest month end, Trial Balance and investigates any material items not covered elsewhere in the Audit Programs, vouching to support documentation. Also, check that all clearance accounts are being “zeroed out” monthly and that no unusual entries appear.
- Once per month, reviews all outstanding purchase orders/requests to ensure their validity. Cancels items which are no longer required.
- Quarterly audits on all Inventory items
- From time to time conducts “audits” of accounting team member to ensure that jobs are being performed in accordance with company policy. Submits report to Director of Finance, which will be used during the team member’s evaluation process.
- Education/Experience: Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- University Bachelor’s Degree/Diploma
- 3+ years’ experience in an Staff Accountant capacity
- Previous experience in the Hospitality industry or another accounting role is an asset
- Knowledge of Opera (PMS), Micros (POS), Microsoft Excel, ADP and Oracle Fusion is an asset
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving abilities.