Assistant Director of Finance -Nautilus by Arlo
Arlo Hotels an independent lifestyle hotel is now actively seeking a dynamic Assistant Director of Finance for Nautilus By Arlo. Are you someone who is passionate about people, driven by purpose, and clever in your approach? If so keep on reading!! Here at Arlo we strive to create a sense of awe that leaves those we touch wanting more…
Provides leadership, direction, support, training, development, and supervision to the Finance Department and responsible for its day-to-day smooth operation. Responsible for accounting and financial requirements of the hotel and will provide financial support, analysis and advice to the Director of Finance, GM and the hotel team to take the business forward. The individual will ensure that procedures in other areas of the hotel comply with Arlo Hotels Financial Policies & Procedures. The individual will work closely and liaise with all other departments, particularly revenue generating and cash handling areas. Replaces the Director of Finance during their absence.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND AUTHORITIES:
- Provide leadership and supports the team in achieving departmental goals and Objectives
- Work with all employees in a professional and courteous manner.
- Supervises the daily activities of all accounting team member and ensures team member evaluations are prepared for all direct reports bi-quarterly.
- Ensure the work environment is safe, clean and organized.
- Build strong relations with other hotel departments and team members
- Monitors time and attendance records of all accounting team member.
- Ensures timely dispatch of all reports as indicated on the Reports Schedule.
- Supervises the archiving of accounting records. Co-ordinates the disposition of records listing.
- Ensures that each team member maintains their inventory of records and keeps them up to date.
- Ensures that records are moved to the warehouse when appropriate.
- Maintains accurate accounting records and assists in producing financial reports for the hotel.
- Ensures that the balance sheet is an accurate reflection of the hotel’s assets and liabilities.
- Assist in developing best practices for financial accounting and control procedures.
- Under the direction of DOF, assists in preparing the Annual Plan, various Financial Reports and Analysis as requested by home office or ownership, monthly and quarterly forecasts.
- Manages cash flow and maintains the hotel bank accounts.
- Ensures proper use and maintenance of financial IT systems, including adequate security and back-up.
- Analyzing daily revenues and auditing revenue adjustments.
- Ensures timely dispatch of all reports.
- Ensure that all guest issues/complaints receive prompt action and follow up.
- Ensure effective communication between the hotel and the client in regards to billing and collection.
- Conducts payroll and controls all components e.g. monitoring payroll against forecasted / actualized occupancy.
- Ensure that operating costs are properly managed by department heads and in line with forecast and projected revenue to protect GOP.
- Oversee and conduct the payroll function via
- Evaluate monthly production reports and monitors results in relation to goals.
- Complete Profit and Loss reviews with all Department Heads
- Maintain a framework of internal controls, which will adequately protect the assets, liabilities, revenue & costs and record in a monthly checklist.
- Ensure a regular cycle of forecasting takes place and relevant reports circulated.
- Utilize key performance indicators and benchmarking to assist in the performance of the hotel and how it can be improved.
- Facilitate regularly scheduled Credit Meeting with management
- Ensure collection of payments due to the hotel.
- Assists Director of Finance in the organization and preparation of the Annual Operating and Capital Budget
- Adheres to deadlines and reporting requirements from the various stakeholders: Owners, Home Office, and Department Heads
- Reviews, approves and signs the following on a timely basis, ensuring that the correct supporting documentation is attached and immediate remedial action is taken where appropriate:
- Petty Cash vouchers
- Gift Certificate Vouchers
- Accounts Payable reports
- Checks numerical sequence control register
- Prepares the month end Journal Entries
- Co-ordinates internal and external audits. Follows up any issues that are raised, ensures that proper explanations are given when required.
- Monitors and follows up Returned Checks promptly and reconciles accordingly
INTERNAL AUDIT REQUIREMENTS
- Journal Entries have all supporting documentation attached to explain the figures thereon or are referenced to where the supporting documentation can be found.
- Reviews latest month end, Trial Balance and investigates any material items not covered elsewhere in the Audit Programs, vouching to support documentation. Also, check that all clearance accounts are being “zeroed out” monthly and that no unusual entries appear.
- Once per month, reviews all outstanding purchase orders/requests to ensure their validity. Cancels items which are no longer required.
- Quarterly audits on all Inventory items
- From time to time conducts “audits” of accounting team member to ensure that jobs are being performed in accordance with company policy. Submits report to Director of Finance, which will be used during the team member’s evaluation process.
- Education/Experience: Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- University Bachlors Degree/Diploma
- 3+ years’ experience in an Assistant Controller capacity
- Previous experience in the Hospitality industry or another accounting role is an asset
- Knowledge of Opera (PMS), Micros (POS), Microsoft Excel, ADP and Oracle Fusion is an asset
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving abilities.
Benefits: Medical, Vision, Dental and 401k and Tuition Reimbursement Program (ref. 50965)